I don't think PDC '05
could be any better from an organizational standpoint. Putting something of this magnitude (as you can tell from the pics of the place!
) together is not an easy task, and it was planned and executed just brilliantly. The keynotes were exciting (and no glitches this time!), the breakout sessions were fun and very informative, the track lounges were always filled with MSFT PM's and Devs who were always there to answer any questions and help people out. Free food and drinks were aplenty, and there were a whole lot of freebies given away almost everyday. I really don't think I could ask for anything more from a tech conference. :P
One of the most interesting things I noticed was the kind of presence Channel9
had at this year's conference. I still remember C9 when it first started off - it was just a small site started by five guys with a goal to give a human face to a corporation. It's really come a long way since then, and I think it's safe to say it's been a big
success. There was a Channel9 lounge at the PDC, C9 videos running constantly on the LCD displays outside each session room throughout the day, and a boatload of videos were posted this week, especially for those who were unable to attend the conference. Scoble, Jeff, Charles, Adam and the rest of the team must be proud! They've been doing a killer job! :)
Several people have been asking me about all the swag I collected during the last four days, so I'm just going to post a list of everything here.
- PDC '05 shoulder bag
- Three Windows Vista posters
- Tech magazines: The Architecture Journal, Plug Code and Go, SQL Server Magazine, MSDN Magazine, and Code.
- A PDC '05 notepad
- A Channel9 foam guy
- The official PDC '05 T-shirt
- Two more T-shirts, courtesy of C9 - one says: "No, I will not fix your computer...until after PDC '05" and the other says "Avalon ~ all about U and I" :)
- A cap from Computer Associates (CA)
- A full retail version of CA's eTrust Internet Security Suite - antivirus, firewall, antispam, antispyware
- A Windows Vista CD case/tin
- A WinFX coffee mug
- An Indigo CD
- An Avalon poster - this one's really cool! I'll post a picture soon.
- An MSN Messenger branded 64MB USB flash drive
- "The Goods" - a collection of six DVD's with over 30GB of bits in one beautiful case: Windows Vista Beta 1 (5112), Vista 5219, Windows Server Longhorn 5219, Visual Studio 2005 Team System Beta 2, SQL Server 2005 Sept CTP, Virtual PC 2004 (full license), Virtual Server 2005 Enterprise (full license), Virtual Server 2005 R2 Beta, Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise RC0, WinFX SDK and runtimes, WinFS Beta 1, LINQ Tech Preview and so on...
- Visual Studio 2005 Release Candidate DVD
- A voucher for the full retail version of SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition when it's released in November.
- Invitation to the Hotmail beta program
- Invitation to the Office 12 Beta program, whenever that begins. Woo!
Phew! I think that covers it. :PTags: PDC05